This course follows the school-year curriculum and fulfills the Parish Junior year science course requirement. This fast paced course uses more advanced laboratory techniques and serves as a lead-in for students with intent to take AP Biology.
This course focuses on life’s organizational hierarchy, emergent properties, cellular basis, unity in diversity, and inheritance of biological information. Through laboratory experiences, demonstration and lecture, emphasis is placed on the correlation of form and the function of living things. A common core theme of evolution underscores the dynamic nature of life.
Students taking this course still must enroll in five core courses during their Junior year. This may not be a terminating science course. Upon completion, students must enroll in a fourth Science course their junior or senior year. Biology Honors is a full year course which counts as one credit towards Parish graduation requirements, and fulfills the 11th grade Science requirements.
Dates & Times
Students are required to attend 21 of the 24 in person sessions to receive credit. Students are required to be on time and stay for the duration of the times listed below.
Note: More than 2 absences must be approved by instructor. If you anticipate missing more than the maximum number of classes (3) due to an academic program or research, please reach out to Mr. Camarillo before registering. Accommodations for such programs may be available if discussed before April 1, 2023.
Course Attendance Requirements: 21 classes, all classes are in person other than July 5 and 6.
Dates & Times:
- Week 1: Thursday – Friday June 1-2 – 10:30 a.m. -1:30 p.m.
- Week 2: Tuesday-Thursday June 6-8 – 10:30 a.m. -1:30 p.m.
- Week 3: Tuesday-Thursday June 13-15 – 10:30 a.m. -1:30 p.m.
- Week 4: Tuesday-Thursday June 20-22 – 10:30 a.m. -1:30 p.m.
- Week 5: Tuesday-Thursday June 27-29 – 10:30 a.m. -1:30 p.m.
- Week 6: Wednesday-Thursday July 5-6 time TBA, Virtual Attendance
- Week 7: Wednesday-Thursday July 12-13 – 10:30 a.m. -1:30 p.m.
- Week 8: Tuesday-Thursday July 18-20 – 10:30 a.m. -1:30 p.m.
- Week 9: Tuesday-Thursday July 25-27 – 10:30 a.m. -1:30 p.m.
- Week 10: Wednesday-Thursday August 3-4 – 10:30 a.m. -1:30 p.m.